Coronavirus and the Law: Protecting Your Rights
Unfortunately, there are others whose dangerous and reckless behavior has cost the health and even the lives of many. The law firm of Greenblatt & Veliev is committed to helping members of the community hold such people accountable.
Nursing Home Negligence
“More than a quarter of the residents and staff in nursing homes and assisted-living and long-term care facilities in 23 states have died from Covid-19.”1 Sadly, many of these deaths were avoidable. At least one nursing home in Maryland has already been fined for violating state regulations designed to prevent the spread of COVID-19.2 The nursing home industry is scared, and some states have caved to pressure from lobbyists and are passing laws designed to limit the liability of nursing homes. It takes a dedicated and knowledgeable law firm to navigate the applicable laws and regulations and find a pathway to justice.
In too many cases grandmothers and grandfathers, mothers and fathers, are dying scared and alone in poorly run, understaffed facilities from which they cannot escape. These victims and their families deserve justice, and we are here to help. If you or a loved one has died or become ill while living or working in a nursing home in Virginia, DC or Maryland, contact us right away. If the nursing home failed to provide sufficient reasonable protections or violated legal regulations, we have the resources and expertise necessary to fight for compensation for those who have been hurt and killed.
Unsafe Employment Practices
Employers across the country face the difficult challenge of staying in business while also protecting their workers and customers. Many states have imposed regulations requiring employers to take steps to minimize the risk to their workforce. If you have been forced to work under unsafe conditions and contracted COVID-19 as a result, you may be entitled to compensation. Liability always depends on the unique facts and circumstances of every case, but examples of potentially dangerous practices include:
– Failing to isolate or send home sick employees
– Failing to implement social distancing in the workplace
– Failing to provide masks, gloves, or other safeguards
– Failing to monitor to health of employees to identify sick individuals
If you or a loved one has died or become ill as a result of unsafe working conditions, contact us right away. We have the resources and expertise necessary to investigate the facts and obtain compensation for victims if possible.
(1) Bryan Kirk, U.S. Nursing Homes Have More Coronavirus Deaths Than All But Five Countries, And The Counting Has Just Begun, Newseek (dated 5/8/2020) https://www.newsweek.com/deaths-coronavirus-are-devastating-nursing-homes-united-states-1502408.
(2) Khalida Volou, Maryland Nursing Home With Most COVID-19 Deaths Fined $10k A Day For Failure To Protect Residents, WUSA 9 (last updated 5/7/2020) https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/sagepoint-nursing-home-living-fined-violations-coronavirus/65-44935eea-d705-4398-9fa8-3580089a8902.