Are You The Victim Of A Hit-And-Run Accident?
Whether large or small, car accidents leave people feeling shaken up, but if the incident was a hit-and-run situation, there will be an extra layer of stress and trauma. Maryland law requires drivers to stop and share their contact information with each other when a collision occurs, but unfortunately, many drivers leave the scene, causing a situation known as “hit-and-run.”
Why Do Drivers Flee The Accident Scene?
The most common reason is that a driver does not have insurance. Most people do not know that the consequences for hit-and-run collisions (up to five years in prison and/or a fine of thousands of dollars) are much heavier than the penalties for driving without insurance.
Steps To Take Immediately After An Accident
Accidents happen every day. You need to be informed about the steps to take if you are a victim. It may be helpful to keep a list in the glove box of your car with the things you should do after an accident.
Things To Do After An Accident
- Stay on the scene, trying not to obstruct traffic more than necessary.
- Call 911 to report the incident and request any needed assistance.
- Take photos of both vehicles, if possible.
- Get the license number of the other car, if possible.
- Write down the color, make, and model of the other car.
- Make a few notes about the driver’s appearance.
- Try to notice if the other car was damaged.
- Take pictures of the scene and any skid marks.
- Take contact information from any witnesses.
- Actions To Avoid After An Accident
- Do not chase the other vehicle.
- Do not discuss the incident with anyone other than the police.
- Do not have the damage to your vehicle repaired right away.
- Do not admit any fault in the accident.
- Do not sign any papers except police reports.
- Do not post the details on your social media pages.
Who Should I Contact After An Accident?
Of course, you will need to let your insurance company know what happened. Also, even if you do not need emergency medical treatment, you should visit a doctor to evaluate any health issues caused by the incident. Perhaps most importantly, you should contact a car accident lawyer.
Why Do I Need A Car Accident Attorney?
If you are the victim of a hit-and-run collision, you may think you cannot receive compensation for your damages. You will be relieved to learn that an attorney can help you to seek compensation from several sources, including:
- Your Car Insurance Company
- Your Health Insurance Company
- A Civil Lawsuit
- A Personal Injury Case
Your Car Insurance Company
If your insurance company denies or disputes your claim, an attorney can help you get the benefits that your uninsured motorist coverage should provide to you.
Your Health Insurance Company
If you were the victim of an accident while you were a pedestrian or cyclist, you may need to file a claim with your health insurance company. A lawyer can be a great asset to you as you navigate the health care system.
A Civil Lawsuit
If authorities were able to locate the other driver and convict him of a crime, you can file a civil suit to receive compensation for your injuries and expenses.
A Personal Injury Case
A lawyer can help you to determine the total cost of the accident to you, in terms of your lost wages, medical bills, and all the other details. You will need a lawyer to represent you in court as you seek a settlement.
Car Accident Attorneys In Rockville MD
Call Greenblatt & Veliev, LLC to begin the process of getting the compensation you deserve. We have over sixty-five years of combined experience in helping people like you negotiate the aftermath of hit-and-run accidents in Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Washington, DC.
Gorkhmaz M. Asgarov, Esq
is an Attorney & Counselor at Law with Greenblatt & Veliev, LLC, which is a litigation law firm based in Rockville, Maryland that provides services to individuals for personal injury, workers’ compensation, and criminal and traffic defense cases.